This is usable images from which I’ll choose a final selection.
In post production I’ve :
sharpen / straighten some / adjusted levels / done slight colour correction on few / lens correction / reduced shadows / suppressed blacks / added clarity / desaturated them
It resulted in effect I wanted similar which I find in a photographic magazine, bright desaturated images but very sharp. Unfortunately I could not find any information about how to achieve such a process on line so this was by customizing settings myself.
I like the effect it creates a coherent body of work, in this project colours and contrast where not playing mayor part that is why I suppressed them this resulted in lines and compositions playing mayor part. I think there is few images where there is colour play like the red chair against the wall or the red bin near the door but even with the desaturated colours red is so profound it does work.
I’ve used mostly f8 or higher in order to have everything in focus. This is social documentary work and that is why I did not wanted to hide anything and did not use shallow depth of field. This and the resulted in compositions having a lot of layers combined with the colour effect has inpact on viewers of repetiotion isolation sometimes cloustrophobic.
Some images are very open and then some like doors or peoples front garden very closed this says there is not much escape, hope, there is nowhere to go. Even if You find a bit of land there a fence on it saying private property. The two areas I shoot Holmewood and White Abbey ( Maningham ) have many similarities and they have almost characteristics of a compound.
With this project, I tried to find beauty in ugly, individuality in repetition and correlation between the architecture and community.
After further research and looking more and more at my images I made my final selection of 26 images which represent and in my opinion talk about the issue.
Chosen images represent the area, I made compromise with just one or two images representing people in the environment, city escapes representing the area, depicting repetition and I came close to peoples houses playing on the individual accents like gardens or laundry, then more images of the road showing the labyrinth of paths which lead to another repetitive number of houses or some kind of forgotten shop or empty building. In this highly urban area where houses are almost merged together privacy plays a big role this is another manifest of individuality – those are represented by image of doors with brutal concrete extension of walls.
I think there is a bit Donowan Wyle in my images – the repitition and compositions especialy found in his work the Maze ( http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL53Z3Z3#/CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL53Z3Z3&POPUPIID=29YL535K6VIX&POPUPPN=24 )
Also a bit of British social documentary of 90’s like Paul Graham or this photographer who was highlighted in feedback – Reymond Depardon . http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&VBID=2K1HZOQITGMX4E&RW=1225&RH=647
Additional research on the subject
- article on photos of architecture in Paris.
- ugly new beutifull about latest trends in Art – not so much relevant to my project.
- photographer sharing his experience and approach to photography of the city
- another article with examples of photographing ugly in a beautiful way
- This is another project in France some futuristic estates play of architecture and setting person in it, it’s not exactly what I do by there some similarities in terms of subject mater I think. – “These large housing projects are often criticised, they fascinate or bother but leave no one indifferent. Their size reminds me of Colossus. There is an unsettling paradox of life and void. Multifaceted social housing projects; sometimes deserted, sometimes filled with life.”
- This project is very similar to mine in terms of some images and subject matter, it even have the same title and also tries to find individuality in repetition. “I live in one of those and I notice how many people tend to give their buildings a bit of personality: usually it’s about how you paint your front door or the way you taking care of your hedge (and there are some serious artists around…).”
What could go better. Overall I’m happy from the images they are strong compositions in my opinion but I could explore the subject matter further do more on the ground resarch ,speak more with people get involved with community centre etc. I would’ve like to genereta more time and spend few more days on shooting the areas maybe find more similiar estetes or just concentrate on one. I’ve posted resarch about grants for projects like that from the start I’ve should aply for one of those that was a big mistake as even if I would be rejected I’d have more experience in such a matter and the issues in brief would be cleraer for me as I’d have to work also towards the brief in the grant. Also, I wished I would’ve to contact more photographer working in this kind genre and have consulted with them.